Sign the business pledge to #SaveChildcareVouchers – email email@example.com with the name of your business and the number of your employees to find out more.
The Childcare Voucher scheme is due to close to new entrants on 4 October 2018 following a six-month extension announced by the government in March. This means employees must have the relevant salary sacrifice arrangements in place on or before 4 October i.e. the first payday they receive a reduced salary.
This delay shows the real difference people can make – it was the combined voices of parents, employers, and childcare providers contacting their MPs that helped secure the six-month extension.
We need your help again to keep Childcare Vouchers open. As well as providing direct savings for parents, Childcare Vouchers save employers millions of pounds on National Insurance Contributions. They also facilitate positive engagement between employers and staff, promoting more positive work environments.
We want all families to be able to make an informed choice about the childcare that best suits their needs, based on a comprehensive and flexible package of support.
How employers can help to keep Childcare Vouchers open:
1. Contact your local MP(s)
Write to your MP on behalf of your business and urge them to put pressure on the government to keep Childcare Vouchers open to new users beyond October.
Its free, easy to do, and takes less than five minutes – just follow these steps:
- Click on theyworkforyou.com and enter your business’ post code to find your local MP(s).
- Click on your MP’s name
- Click on the button near the top left of the page with the subject line ‘Keep Childcare Vouchers open for businesses’.
- Tell your MP why you think Childcare Vouchers should and must be kept open to new entrants, and ask them to urge the government to do so. Personalise the email to your business, telling them how your employees have benefited or how workplace practices have improved or adapted for working parents, for example:
- How many employees does your business employ, and what proportion of your workforce are parents?
- How many of your staff use Childcare Vouchers?
- How long has your business offered the scheme?
- Have you found that the scheme has helped facilitate positive employer-employee discussions about childcare? Can you give any particular examples?
- Are Childcare Vouchers a popular employee benefit in your business?
- Does your business have employees on rotation that are likely to be impacted if the scheme closes to new entrants? For example, nurses on rotation placements within the NHS.
- Have your employees expressed concerns to you about the potential closure of the scheme?
- Anything else that you feel might be relevant in the argument to persuade government to keep Childcare Vouchers open.
2. Share information with staff
Here are some steps to help ensure that no employee misses out on the opportunity to join the scheme.
- Tell all of your staff about the proposed changes to Childcare Vouchers and communicate details of your scheme with them.
- Ensure all staff who want to use Childcare Vouchers have salary sacrificed in their pay cheque before October 2018.
- Ensure staff who have opted out of Childcare Vouchers temporarily have made at least one salary sacrifice in the last 52 weeks in order to remain in the scheme.
- Share this campaign with your staff.
3. Share this campaign with your staff and other networks
Encourage your employees to write to their local MPs so that all parents can have access to Childcare Vouchers beyond October. As the deadline to join the scheme approaches, they may lose out unless the government commits to keeping it open.
4. Share this campaign on social media
You can also use social media to call on your MP to keep Childcare Vouchers open to new entrants. Share this campaign on Facebook, or tweet to your network.
Here is a sample tweet you could use and personalise:
Please [insert MP’s twitter handle] stand with businesses across the UK and urge @hmtreasury to halt the closure of Childcare Vouchers to new entrants and keep this vital support open alongside Tax-Free Childcare #SaveChildcareVouchers
Here is a sample Facebook post:
Our business is proud to be family focused. Childcare Vouchers offer flexibility, savings, and convenience for our working parents and helps to maintain a positive work environment. That’s why we’re supporting the campaign to #SaveChildcareVouchers. Stand with business and working parents by joining the campaign now. Find out more here
Here is a sample LinkedIn post:
As a business, we value the vital support Childcare Vouchers offer our staff. It provides flexibility and choice and helps promote a positive working environment. If you want to stand alongside business and working parents, join the #SaveChildcareVouchers campaign now to ensure all families have a choice when it comes to paying for childcare. Find out more here