Here’s how parents can get involved in the campaign to#SaveChildcareVouchers:
1. Contact your local MP
You can make a real difference by contacting your MP and asking them to put pressure on the government over its Childcare Voucher policy.
Its free, easy to do, and takes less than five minutes – just follow these steps:
- Click on theyworkforyou.com and enter your post code to find your local MP.
- Click on your MP’s name
- Click on the button near the top left of the page and enter the subject line ‘#SaveChildcareVouchers for working parents’.
- Tell your MP why you think Childcare Vouchers should be open to new entrants, and ask them to urge the government to do so. Make your email personal to you and your family, telling them how you have benefited, or hope to in future, for example:
- How have Childcare Vouchers helped your family financially or get into and stay in work?
- Have you found the scheme easy to use?
- Has the scheme been beneficial for your work-life balance?
- Has it facilitated a more open conversation with your employer about your childcare needs?
- If you are expecting your first child, are you concerned you’ll be worse off because the scheme has now closed?
- Are you worried about changing jobs because you won’t be able to re-join the scheme with a new employer?
- Are you able to use Childcare Vouchers to help you with wraparound childcare costs for school aged children e.g. breakfast or afterschool clubs or summer schemes? (Tax-Free Childcare is only available for children up to age 11).
- Is only one parent in your household working? (to be eligible for Tax-Free Childcare, both parents must be in employment, and meet certain income criteria).
- Are you subject to immigration control and unable to access other support with your childcare costs?
- Do Childcare Vouchers offer you more support than other schemes?
- Anything else that you feel might be relevant.
2. Share this campaign with your friends and colleagues, including new or expectant parents
Encourage your networks to write to their MP so that all parents can have access to Childcare Vouchers.
3. Share this campaign on social media
You can also use social media to call on your MP to #SaveChildcareVouchers.